Hunting on Virginia's State Forests
Hunting is permitted on some of Virginia's State Forests. State Forest hunting regulations and seasons follow those of the county in which the State Forest is located.
Prospective hunters interested in hunting on the state forest should be aware of the following:
- Sunday hunting is prohibited on public lands including State Forests, except for waterfowl, as outlined in DGIF regulations for migratory birds.
- A valid State Forest Use Permit and valid hunting license in accordance with state hunting regulations must be on your person when hunting.
- Special restrictions, such as Either-Sex Deer Hunting Days, may be in effect.
- Wear blaze orange during hunting season.
- To ensure your safety, read our state forest regulations before visiting a forest.
Contact your local Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries office for:
- Answers to questions regarding hunting laws
- Information on Hunting and Trapping Regulations.
Hunting is only permitted on these state forests
Hunting maps and guides are in English, PDF format.
- Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map | Hunter's Map
- Big Woods State Forest | Hunter's Map
- Browne State Forest | Hunter's Map
- Channels State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map |
- Chilton Woods State Forest - archery and black powder only. Forest Map.
- Conway-Robinson State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map | Trail Map |
- Cumberland State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map | Hunter's Map
- Dragon Run State Forest | Location Map |
- Lesesne State Forest. Archery and black powder deer hunting are permitted. Parking and access may be limited in certain areas on Lesesne State Forest. First come, first served basis.
- 2015/2016 Season:
October 3 – November 13: Early Archery Season
November 29 – January 2: Late Archery Season
October 31 – November 13: Early Muzzle Loader Season
December 12 – January 2: Late Muzzle Loader Season
- Matthews State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map |(bow-hunting only)
- Due to the potential danger during hunting season, all trails south of US 58 will be closed for all recreational uses other than hunting Mondays through Saturdays from the first Saturday in October through the first Sunday of January. Trails are open Sundays during this period for the benefit of bikers and recreational users only. Trails are open Sundays during this period for the benefit of bikers and recreational users only.
- Prince Edward-Gallion State Forest | Location Map | Recreation Map | Hunter's Map
- Sandy Point State Forest - Hunter's Map
State Forest Use Permit
A State Forest Use Permit is required for those persons aged 16 or older to practice the following activities on a state forest:
- ride horses
- ride mountain bikes
A valid Virginia hunting license or fishing license in addition to a State Forest Permit ($16 per year) are required for hunting, trapping or fishing on the forest.
A State Forest Use Permit is not required for forest visitors who practice the following activities on a state forest:
Permits can be purchased two ways
- Go to any location where you purchase a hunting license. Ask the clerk for the "State Forest Permit" to be added to your license.
- Use your credit card and purchase a permit online from the Virginia Department Of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) website.
Search for hunting locations and access using this interactive mapping website from the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
About the State Forests
All State Forests are managed by the Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) for multiple-use purposes, including watershed protection, recreation, timber production, hunting, fishing, and applied forest research.
The State Forests are self-supporting (no taxes are used to operate the system).
- State Forests are open daily from dawn to dusk.
- There are no charges to visit the State Forests. A State Forest Use Permit is required for some activities.
- Foot travel, non-motorized bikes, and horses are permitted.
- ATVs are not permitted on any of the State Forests.
Last modified: Monday, 14-Nov-2016 16:24:38 EST