The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) provides technical assistance to private landowners. Landowners have many options for managing their forest land - what do you want to do with “your woods?” We can help you have the woods you want and reach your goals.
- I want to
- create a wildlife habitat or improve hunting habitat.
- manage my pine forest
- manage my hardwood forest
- see what cost-share programs are available
- learn or practice forest stewardship
- learn about riparian forests, wooded areas kept along streams and rivers.
- learn about services provided by VDOF and service fees
- Learn more about invasive plants and pests and what you can do about them.
We Can Help You
We want to help you develop a healthy, thriving and profitable forest. Our foresters can give you guidance and direction to set and meet your forest management goals. You, the environment and local economy can benefit from a productive forest.
The VDOF can help you:
- Evaluate your forest property in consultation with wildlife biologists and other resource specialists as needed to identify your needs
- Develop a Forest Stewardship Plan giving consideration to your overall goals and objectives
- Find your VDOF county forester.
Where to look for help:
- Learn about forestry consultants and what they can do for you and your property.
- What is an arborist?
- Learn more about forestry laws and regulations in the Code of Virginia.