Virginia Forestry Laws
Common to these laws is a commitment to conserving Virginia's forests, consideration of environmental concerns, stewardship of private forest resources, and protection of the rights of private forest landowners.
We are unable to assist users with legal questions, respond to requests for legal advice, or the application of the law to specific facts. Persons needing legal advice may contact:
- Virginia Lawyer's Referral Service 1.800.552.7977
Information on local ordinances is available on this website.
- Virginia Tree Ordinance Database
- Enabling legislation: Replacement of trees during development process in certain localities.
The Virginia Department of Forestry
- Code of Virginia: Forestry Table of Contents
- General powers, duties and organization of the Virginia Department of Forestry: Code of Virginia 10.1 - 1100 to 10.1 - 1181.12
- “Forester” title requirements - Code of Virginia 10.1-1181.9; Exemptions - Code of Virginia 10.1-1181.12
- Agricultural and Forestal Districts 15.2 - 4300 to 4314; 15.2 - 4400 - 4407
- Article XI: Virginia Constituition - Conservation
Protecting Virginia's Forests from Wildfire
- Cost Recovery for Fire Protection § 10.1-1141 Liability and recovery of cost of fighting forest fires
- 4 p.m. Burning Law § 10.1-1142 Regulating the burning of woods, brush, etc.; penalties l Exemption from the 4 p.m. Burning Law.
- Throwing inflammatory objects from vehicle on highway while in or near certain lands § 10.1-1143
- Rewards for information leading to conviction of arsonists or incendiaries § 10.1-1138
- Serious Fire Hazards § 10.1-1158
Protecting Virginia's Waters
- Silvicultural Activities Affecting Water Quality (Water Quality Law) § 10.1-1181.1 to 1181.7
- Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act § 2.2.16
- Protection of State Waters § 10.1-1105
(incl. development of Best Management Practices)
- Prevention of Debris in Streams § 62.1-194.2
- Directive No. 94 establishing the DOF as the lead state agency in establishing 610 miles of riparian buffers.
Conservation of Virginia's Forests
- Seed Tree Law § 10.1-1162 to 1169 - explanation
- Pesticide Regulation § 3.1-249.30
- Forest Insects and Disease § 10.1-1177 to 1181
- Authority for the VDOF to acquire and accept land for the establishment or expansion of state forests Va. Code Ann.§ 10.1-1107
- Timber Trespass 55-331 to 333
Regulated Incentive Programs for Forest Landowners
- Timber Growth § 10.1-1106
- Reforestation of Timberlands (Cost Share) § 10.1-1170 to 1176
- Land Use Taxation § 58.1-3230 to 3244
- Riparian Buffer Tax Credit § 58.1-339.10
- Dail v. York (2000)
Last modified: Monday, 12-Mar-2012 11:16:46 EDT