Getting Help From A Forestry Consultant
The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) lists the names of foresters who provide forestry services to the public on a contractual basis for a fee. The performance of anyone listed is not guaranteed by the VDOF and no recommendation or sponsorship of any single individual or firm is implied.
A forestry consultant
- Helps you manage your land and trees
- Has forestry skills and experience
- Knows about forestry laws and regulations
- Works in the best interest for you and your forest.
Choosing a forestry consultant
Virginia does not require forestry consultants to be registered or licensed. All forestry consultants have basic forestry skills. Some forestry consultants have specialties like managing for wildlife or pine straw. Before you hire a forestry consultant, you should:
- Talk to a ffew foresters, and ask them about their specialties.
- Ask what they will do and how much it will cost for their help.
- Ask about their experience
- Ask if they also buy timber - could represent a conflict of interest.
- Landowners are encouraged to request several references from any Forestry Consultant under consideration, and to contact those references before making their final decision.
Find a forestry consultant
This list ONLY includes anyone who has a BS degree or higher, or ten years experience (qualifies to use the title “Forester”), or requested to be listed on this website.
Forestry Consultant List
Search | Download (English; Microsoft Excel format)
Forestry organizations to which individuals or firms may belong are listed below.
updated: Monday, 04-Feb-2013 10:01:26 EST
- Individuals with ten years experience are permitted to use the “Forester” title under the Code of Virginia. Forester Title - List l Law
- Search the Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc. (ACF) Online Directory of Foresters
- Search the Society of American Foresters (SAF) Online Directory of Certified Foresters.
- National Woodland Owners Association Directory of Certified Foresters.
Services of a forestry consultant
- Help you write a Stewardship Management Plan based on what you want to do with your woods. The plan provides guidance through the life of your property.
- Help you improve your woodland, ensuring you can make money if you decide to sell your trees.
- Help you find “timber buyers” (people to buy your trees) and get you the best price.
- Help you plant new trees now so that you can make more money later.
- Provide advice to attract more deer, quail, or turkeys to your woodland.
- Help you find people who will pay a fee for hunting in your woods.
Get it in writing
Make sure you have a written agreement with your forestry consultant. The written agreement should cover:
- What jobs will be done.
- Who will do the jobs.
- Payments to the forester.
- Who will pay the forester (for example, you or timber buyers).
Free or low-cost forestry information providers
Your VDOF County Forester offers free advice and, for a fee, helps write management plans.
Many people buy timber; however, they usually work for a company's best interests and not yours. A forestry consultant will always give you the best price, because the forester is looking out for what is right for you and your woodland. A forester will provide information about government cost share programs.