Wildland firefighting is dangerous work. This page has information and resources to help you learn how to fight wildfire safely.
- Learn how to become a wildland firefighter.
- When firefighting in Virginia, follow these safety and logistical essentials.
- The Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center works to improve safe work practices, advance organizational learning, and share lessons learned and knowledge within the entire wildland fire community.
Programs and Training
- Dry Hydrants - Learn how fire departments use these non-pressurized pipe systems to refill their tank trucks.
Prescribed Fire and Smoke Management
- Prescribed Burning Program - prevent fires by managing the forest “fuel” supply. Also provides information on laws, and certification.
- Prescribed Burns In Eastern Mixed-oak Forests from FireScience.gov (English; PDF format)
- Safety Refresher presentation (English; PowerPoint format; 12MB)
Certified Burn Manager Presentations
All presentations are in Adobe Acrobat format; this software or a viewer is required.
National Guard Training
- Wildland Fire Suppresion (27MB)
Regional and National Information
- Southern Area Coordination Center (SACC) mobilizes aircraft, crews, and equipment wildland fires and emergency/disaster relief efforts.
- National Interagency Coordination Center
Last modified: Wednesday, 30-Jan-2013 15:50:43 EST