Fire and Forest Protection
The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) protects our forest resources from fire. Our main goals are:
- prevent injury or loss of human life
- minimize property damage
- protect the forest resources.
Learn more about our Forest Protection Program.
Fall Wildfire Season
October 15 - November 30
Conditions are ideal for wildfires at this time of year.
The Virginia Department of Forestry and Smokey Bear thank you for being safe with fire.
- Learn our fire safety tips to help you burn safely.
- Dry hydrants help provide water to firefighetrs in rural areas.
- Learn all about wildfire in Virginia, including the causes of forest fires.
- Wildland firefighting is dangerous work. Learn more about fighting wildfire in Virginia.
eLearning for Kids about Smokey Bear. Take a look at the Story of Smokey Bear in an interactive eLearning format. Children of all ages will enjoy the story. Comments or suggestions? Contact Fred Turck.
All About Smokey Bear.
Programs and Services
- Prescribed Burning Program - prevent fires by managing the forest “fuel” supply. Also provides information on laws, and certification.
- Volunteer Fire Department Information - grants, training and equipment information can be found here.
Emergencies - Prepare and Respond
- Learn what VDOF does during an emergency and what you can do to prepare for one.
- Hurricane Information: National Hurricane Center - Tropical Prediction Center | Tropical Information - From the Weather Underground. | Interactive Hurricane Tracker.
Regional and National Information
- Southern Area Coordination Center (SACC) mobilizes aircraft, crews, and equipment wildland fires and emergency/disaster relief efforts.
- National Interagency Coordination Center
- Wildfire Prevention Education Team news and activity from the Southern region -http://sites.google.com/site/southernwildfireprevention/
- Visit My Forest
- Good Fires
Last modified: Tuesday, 25-Nov-2014 12:14:22 EST