Fall Foliage in Virginia
Fall is one of the most beautiful times of year in Virginia, and traveling throughout the state during this season can reveal an abundance of color. As you enjoy the outdoors and Virginia's forests, remember to be careful with outdoor fire. A cigarette, campfire or cooking equipment can destroy the scenic wonders of Fall in Virginia.
Weekly Fall Foliage Report
If the information is available, these reports will resume October 1, 2014. They'll be posted each Wednesday for the month of October, by the end of the workday.
Virginia Trees and Colors
|Tree||Fall Leaf Color|
|beech||yellow to orange|
|dogwood||scarlet to purple|
|oak||red, brown or russet|
|red maple||brilliant scarlet|
VDOF Recommended Fall Foliage Driving Tours
So, you’re interested in seeing some of the beauty that is Virginia during Fall Foliage season? But you don’t want to fight the traffic that clogs some of the best-known places, such as Skyline Drive?
Well, you’ve come to the right place! The Virginia Department of Forestry VDOF) is proud to present its first ever VDOF-Recommended Fall Foliage Driving Tours. And who better than the folks who know Virginia’s trees best to provide you with routes that will expose you to some of the Commonwealth’s most colorful tree-lined vistas?
Each of these tours – designed by a local VDOF forester – is sure to exceed your expectations and fill your eyes with wide swatches of vibrant yellows, reds and oranges. And, because these recommended drives are “off the beaten path,” you’ll be able to enjoy a leisurely trip without the hassles of a lot of traffic on the road or large crowds at stops along the way.
Simply choose one of the tours below, print out the route and take it with you as you enjoy the “leaf-peeping” in Virginia!
- Charlottesville area: Greene County.
- Harrisonburg area: Rockingham County tour directions | Shenandoah County tour directions
- Lexington area: Bath County tour directions
- Roanoke area: Bedford County tour directions | Craig County tour directions | Franklin County tour directions
- Staunton area: Highland County tour directions
Additional Routes to see fall foliage
- Drive on a Scenic Byway with maps from the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Fall Foliage Information
- Fall Foliage Report - 1.800.424.LOVE
- Forest Service Fall Color hotline - 800.354.4595. Press "8" for the Southern States report.
- Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park - 540.999.3500 (press “6”)
- Blue Ridge Parkway (between Waynesboro and the North Carolina border) - 828.298.0398 (press “3”)
- Fall Color Information - from the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.
- U.S. Forest Service Fall Color Page
- Fall Foliage Reports for the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Valley. Provided by the Weather Channel
- Fall In Virginia - information from the Virginia Tourism Corporation.
Fall Foliage Activities
- Prince William Forest Park is an oasis of natural beauty and human history located only 35 miles south of Washington, DC.
- Monticello Artisan Trail (Nelson & Albemarle Counties). Nestled at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, Albemarle and Nelson counties offer an abundance of cultural, historical, recreational and leisure opportunities for our visitors enjoyment.
Why do leaves change color?
Most leaf colors are already in the plant leaf.
- Chlorophyll gives leaves their familiar green color.
- Carotenoids produce yellow, orange, and brown colors.
- Anthocyanins add color to red apples, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, and plums. They are water soluble and appear in the watery liquid of leaf cells.
Both chlorophyll and carotenoids are present in the chloroplasts of leaf cells throughout the growing season. During this time, chlorophyll is produced and broken down and leaves appear green. As days get shorter, chlorophyll production slows down until it stops. The green color is no longer visible, and other pigments present (carotenoids) with the chlorophyll are then revealed. During autumn, bright light and excess plant sugars produce anthocyanins within leaf cells.
Last modified: Thursday, 25-Sep-2014 11:54:58 EDT