Emergency Watershed Protection
Conservation Incentive Program Fact Sheet

  • Program Name: Emergency Watershed Protection
  • Abbreviation: EWP
  • Primary Goal: Remove the threat to life and property resulting from damage occurring in a natural disaster.
  • Contact Agency:
  • Where Applicable:
    • With Approved Sponsored Projects
    • Specific Areas Receiving Damage From Natural Disasters
  • Other Sources of Information: NRCS Fact Sheet

Prepared by Virginia State Technical Advisory Committee.

Program Description and Requirements

Congress has authorized the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service to respond to watershed disasters by directing technical assistance to landowners for stream restoration. Example practices include: removing debris from stream channels and bridge abutments, reshaping and protecting eroding streambanks, repairing flood control structures and reseeding damaged land areas. It should be noted that this is not a flood prevention program, but is directed toward restoring the site from damage sustained by the natural disaster.

In order to participate, the local sponsor (usually a county government) must submit a request for assistance and must agree to obtain the necessary land rights for the repair work, secure the necessary permits, and furnish local cost share. The local sponsor is also responsible for maintenance of completed emergency measures.

NRCS will pay 75 percent of the construction costs for EWP measures. Local sources must then provide cash or in-kind services for the remaining 25 percent. Landowners should request assistance through the local sponsor or call the local NRCS office after times of natural disaster.

All programs, activities, and services of the conservation partnership are available to people on a nondiscriminatory basis regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, physical ability, political affiliation, and marital or familial status. We are all equal opportunity employers.